Poway and Rancho Bernardo, CA
Your teeth are undoubtedly one of your body’s essential parts as they enable you to eat and speak. In an ideal world, your teeth would last you an entire lifetime. Unfortunately, many adults deal with tooth loss, and sometimes, that loss is significant and results in needing dentures. Today on the blog, Poway general dentist, Dr. Nicol Cook, shares seven surprising benefits of dentures.
Tooth Loss Reality
Significant tooth loss affects not only your smile, but it could also have a detrimental effect on your ability to eat or speak. Some people could suffer from psychological and physiological impacts as well. Visible tooth loss could even lower your self-confidence and generate feelings of awkwardness in social situations. When losing one or more teeth, it could prevent you from eating certain foods and getting adequate nutrition that you need. Thankfully, dentures in Poway are an option to restore your smile.
What are dentures?
Dentures are a customized, removable dental appliance that replaces missing teeth and restores your ability to bite and chew foods as usual. Prosthetic teeth that closely mimic your natural teeth in shape, color, and size are attached acrylic that is molded and shaped to fit your mouth.
What are the benefits of dentures?
- Restore Functionality – Dentures work like your natural teeth and assist with biting, chewing, and speaking clearly.
- Reduce Dietary Restrictions – Dentures allow you the ability to chew food again so that you don’t have to stick to eating mushy foods.
- Speech Improvements – As you speak, your tongue uses your teeth to help formulate the right sounds. When you have missing teeth, it could make it difficult to pronounce certain words. With dentures, the barrier is present once again and will aid in the clarity of your speech.
- Appearance Improvements – Patients who have missing teeth often go through great lengths to hide their mouths. However, once your dentures are complete, you can once again smile confidently with a mouth full of pearly whites.
- Reduce Signs of Aging – Complete tooth loss may cause your bite and cheeks to collapse, resulting in early signs of aging. Dentures provide the necessary support to your face so that your face appears full, yet natural.
- Restore Confidence – Wearing comfortable, natural-looking dentures can help you feel confident when you smile.
- Long-Lasting – Depending on your level of oral care, dentures may last a decade or longer. However, some patients experience changes in their jawbone that may result in needing a new set of dentures made to fit correctly.
Dentures in Poway and Rancho Bernardo, California
Missing teeth can cause embarrassment and awkward social encounters. Dentures could be the right treatment you need to avoid embarrassment in social situations, regain your confidence, and face the world with a new smile. If you have questions about dentures or would like to schedule an appointment to find out if dentures are right for you, feel free to call Smiles by Dr. Cook at (858) 673-0141 or request an appointment online.