Poway and San Diego, CA
Whether you are taking a family vacation or traveling with friends, a vacation during spring break can be a great way to rest and recharge for the home stretch of the school year.
Here are a few helpful tips from your local Poway dentist at Smiles by Dr. Cook to help you avoid a dental emergency while enjoying your spring break.
- Brush up: Just because you are on vacation does not mean that you can neglect every aspect of your regular routine—such as oral hygiene. It can be easy to neglect some of your daily responsibilities when you are on the go, whether your vacation is full of different events or just a relaxing stay at the beach. Resist the urge to zonk out at night without brushing your teeth.
- Dry out: Most people stash their toothbrush into a travel case when they are traveling, but did you know this actually could be harmful to your oral health? Keeping a wet toothbrush in a sealed container encourages the growth of bacteria, which can enter your mouth the next time your brush. Make sure to pick a travel container with holes to allow ventilation, or leave your toothbrush out in an open space to dry before storing it again.
- Carry on: Lost luggage is always a hassle, but unfortunately, it happens to many travelers at some point. If you are flying to your destination this spring break, consider packing your dental hygiene supplies in your carry-on instead of a checked bag. Remember any carry-on toiletries that are liquid or gel only can be up to 3.4 ounces.
- Beat the sweets: Treating yourself while on vacation is a natural inclination but you still should try to limit the amount of sugar you consume, even when on vacation. The sugar really can add up, especially on road trips where caffeinated drinks full of sugar are readily available at every stop along the way. Least we forget about those margaritas or sangrias that you may be sipping on more than usual as these beverages are loaded with sugar that promotes tooth decay.
- Seek treatment if needed: A dental emergency is serious whether you are at home or on a trip. If you encounter a problem like a toothache, a knocked-out tooth or a broken jaw during a vacation, you still should seek out the care of a dentist as soon as possible to provide treatment to limit your pain as well as prevent further damage to your oral health.
- Be prepared: If you do find you need dental care while on a trip, it is important to have all the pertinent information with you. This can be especially helpful for patients with dental insurance; you might be able to find another provider in your coverage network close to wherever you are staying.
Smiles by Dr. Cook is proud to offer an assortment of different services to maintain your oral health. Let us prepare you for your time away from home by scheduling a check-up, which will include a professional cleaning as well as a thorough examination of your teeth and mouth to identify any potential problems. To schedule an appointment, please call (858) 673-0141 or contact Smiles by Dr. Cook today. We welcome patients of Carmel Mountain, Poway and Rancho Bernardo, California.