Poway and San Diego, CA
When considering a dental implant, you should not only feel comfortable and confident in your dentist, but also have a thorough understanding of the actual procedure. Here are some helpful questions you should ask to be prepared for your dental implant procedure.
About Your Implant Dentist
- What trainings and qualifications do you possess in regard to implant dentistry?
- How many years have you been an implant dentist?
- What professional organizations in which you are a member?
- What is the average success rate of your past dental implant patients?
- May I view a before and after picture portfolio of your patients?
About the Procedure
- What is needed in preparation of my dental implant procedure?
- What foods, medications, supplements, or other substances should I avoid prior to my surgery and for how long?
- What is the approximate length of time for the entire procedure?
- Will I be able to drive myself home after the procedure or should I plan on having someone drive me home?
- Will an overnight stay in a medical establishment be necessary?
- What level of pain should I expect during the procedure and afterwards while healing?
- What possible complications should I be aware of when choosing to undergo dental implant surgery?
- Is there anything I can do to help minimize any potential risk of complication?
- How much will the dental implant procedure cost and what does the cost include?
- What other costs should I be aware of that are associated with dental implant surgery?
About Your Recovery and Results
- Can you describe for me what the recovery will be like following my procedure?
- How will I be able to tell if I experience a problem or complications?
- How much time will I need to take off from work or my regular activities following the procedure?
- Are there any types of special foods I should eat or avoid during my recovery?
- What medications or supplements I should avoid after the procedure and for how long?
- What types of medications or supplements might help speed up the recovery process?
- What special care should I take in caring for my mouth after the procedure?
- What type of follow-up appointments should I plan to have and how many?
- Will I be charged extra if any issues arise such as pain or infection that result in an office visit?
Hopefully, these questions provide you with answers that you can help you feel confident and comfortable when choosing your implant dentist and moving forward with your procedure. Dr. Cook will be delighted to answer your questions and ensure your understanding of the process, both before and after the procedure.